Saturday 14 February 2009

Poetry

Originally written and posted on Monday 02 February 2009.

It's not often I revisit old posts but I'm going to do it again tonight; I'm going to explain some of my poetry and rid some of the misunderstandings.
I have just re-read my last poem, written and published last night, "But you"; and at the time of writing I didn't feel it was that good. When I normally finish a poem I often feel elated by it and often hail it as the best this or that; last night nothing but a cryptic message. However, upon reading it again tonight the poem has begun to reveal itself to it's true potential. I wanted to tell a story, a true story and a personal one; so I hid it within a kind of abstract framework. I thought I had hidden it too well at the time of writing and it did not make that much sense; I was wrong. Now I can see it makes perfect sense and I do not think that the message I wanted to convey is hidden at all; it is perfectly obvious if the poem is read correctly. That said, you do not know the story but I hope it makes a connection somewhere and means something to anyone who reads it. Maybe if you do know me well then perhaps you do understand the meaning in it to me, who knows?
The form of poetry I write on here is not just random words strung together. Each piece tells a story and the words I use, however random they may appear, are placed within the frame deliberately to tell it. It can be a painstaking process but even the longest of my pieces take under one hour to complete; and I usually take the longest time deliberating over the use of one or two words. I also like how this from of poetry leaves a huge breadth and depth of scope for readers to form their own opinions, they are deliberately written but not deliberately directed.
I always used to write poetry with my heart and soul, which usually produced introvert pieces; whereas nowadays I just tap into a nerve and kind of take a step back from the subject matter; leaving my personal objectives open to subjection. I have found it much easier to write this way and it is a much easier process upon myself, I can write a definitive personal piece without giving the game away completely.
One other thing, I kind of lied in the summary to another poem, "The boy with broken eyes". There are actually three people who are the inspiration behind it. And as I'm in a feel good mood I'll let the main inspiration be known, man I'm throwing away secrets for fun of late! He works in Burger King, and I am attracted to him simply because he just looks so out of place, so kind of lost. I'm sure he probably leads a very happy life but it is an impression I cannot shake each time I see him. For some reason which I honestly cannot identify I just want to take hold of him and tell him everything will be okay. He is mostly, 'The boy with broken eyes", it's amazing as it is bizarre where I find the inspiration and how I view the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment